- Биология. Biology. 2015 8 (2)
- Joyyi, Lee; Sridewi, Nanthini; Abdullah, Amirul Al-Ashraf; Kasuya, Ken-ichi; Sudesh, Kumar
- Contact information
- Joyyi, Lee:School of Biological Sciences University Sains Malaysia Penang, 11800, Malaysia; Sridewi, Nanthini:National Defence University of Malaysia Kuala Lumpur, 57000, Malaysia; Abdullah, Amirul Al-Ashraf:School of Biological Sciences University Sains Malaysia Penang, 11800, Malaysia; Kasuya, Ken-ichi:Division of Molecular Science Gunma University 1-5-1 Tenjin, Kiryu, Gunma 376-8515, Japan; Sudesh, Kumar:School of Biological Sciences University Sains Malaysia Penang, 11800, Malaysia; E-mail:
- polyhydroxyalkanoates; biopolymers; electrospinning; in vitro; degradation; in vitro
Polyhydroxyalkanoates (PHAs) are a family of biopolymers with good biodegradability. Poly(3- hydroxybutyrate) [P(3HB)], poly(3-hydroxybutyrate-co-25 mol % 4-hydroxybutyrate) [P(3HBco- 25 mol % 4HB)] and poly(3-hydroxybutyrate-co-75 mol % 4-hydroxybutyrate) [P(3HB-co-75 mol % 4HB)] were fabricated using the electrospinning technique to obtain fibers. Electrospun P(3HB) showed formation of fibers when 30 kV voltage was applied to 4 % P(3HB) extruded at 60 μL/min with prior heating for 15 min at 60 °C. Fabricated P(3HB-co-4HB) showed a continuous polymer mat with embedded beads formation. P(3HB) fabricated at different time of electrospinning (5, 10, 15 and 20 min) and concentrations (1 %, 2 %, 3 % and 4 %) subjected to in vitro enzymatic degradation by PHA depolymerase showed decrease in polymer weight. The highest rate of degradation was exhibited by 2 % P(3HB) electrospun for 15 min. Films of 1 % P(3HB-co-25 mol % 4HB) and 1 % P(3HBco- 75 mol % 4HB) subjected to in vitro lipase degradation also exhibited decrease in polymer weight. P(3HB-co-75 mol % 4HB) films showed significant decrease in weight compared to P(3HB-co-25 mol % 4HB). Degraded P(3HB) had fibril-like structures whereas P(3HB-co-4HB) surface structure became more porous. Environmental degradation of these polymers was successful with P(3HB-co- 4HB) being better degraded
- Paper at repository of SibFU
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License (CC BY-NC 4.0).