- Journal of Siberian Federal University. Humanities & Social Sciences: 2011, Vol. 4, Issue 10
- Quero Gervilla, Enrique F.
- Contact information
- Quero Gervilla, Enrique F. : University of Granada , Campus de Cartuja s/n, Granada, 18071 Spain , e-mail:
- world-view; modal indetermination; Dostoevsky; Russian; Spanish
This article is based on the Sapir-Whorf Linguistic Relativity Hypothesis, which argues that every language gives its speakers a particular kind of world-view. In this sense, it could be said that, typologically, Russian and Spanish work in different directions. In Russian, the most important typological categories are space and object; in Spanish, they are time and event. In the present article, we analyze the particle как бы in the novel The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky and the problems associated with the translation of this particle into Spanish. We have chosen Dostoevsky rather than other writers because of his specific style of writing. Words and expressions that are common in the Russian language, acquire a special meaning in Dostoevskys books.
- Paper at repository of SibFU
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License (CC BY-NC 4.0).