- Journal of Siberian Federal University. Humanities & Social Sciences. 2012 5 (6)
- Beloglazova, Elena V.; Bartashova, Olga A.
- Contact information
- Beloglazova, Elena V. : St.Petersburg University of Economics and Finance , 21 Sadovaya st., St. Petersburg, 191023 Russia , e-mail: ; Bartashova, Olga A. : St.Petersburg University of Economics and Finance , 21 Sadovaya st., St. Petersburg, 191023 Russia
- Idiom; translation; ethos; cultural (un)translatability; sound symbolism; transformed idioms
The present paper focuses on idioms as a factor of cultural untranslatability. The issue of idioms translation has been raised by a number of researchers, but they have been dealing with idioms in their canonical form, not taking into account such particular cases as sound-symbolic or transformed idioms, posing yet even greater problems for a translator. The paper approaches idioms from various perspectives, identifying two sets of problems in their translation - on the input and on the output stages.
- Paper at repository of SibFU
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License (CC BY-NC 4.0).